If you want to get started in worm farming at home, then there’s one thing that you need – a worm bin. This is where the worms will live, along with the soil and other bedding materials, as well as the organic scraps that you will be feeding them. With too many options, deciding what to buy is difficult. Among others, one worth considering is the Urban Worm Bag Version 2.
Durable, breathable, and attractive – these are three of the words used by the manufacturer to describe the Urban Worm Bag Version 2. Are they right with their claims? Is it a worthy investment? There’s only one way to find out. Read the rest of this short review and learn from the insights we’ll be sharing below.
If there is one thing that sums up the design, it would be that it is incredible. We have used other worm bins in the past, and this one stands out. We are not saying that it is the best, but from its overall design, it demonstrates superior quality and functionality.
Continuous Flow Design
One of the best things about the design of the worm bin is that it flows continuously. This provides better aeration for the soil while also simplifying the overall composting procedure. This is one thing that you will appreciate if you are a beginner. With the bedding in place, you will add the food scraps on the top and the castings will flow to the bottom.
Made Using Breathable Fabric
Another notable design feature of this worm bin is the use of breathable fabric as the main material. We have seen a lot of worm bins, and the common practice among manufacturers is to use plastic or similar hard materials. This model is made of a breathable fabric. This improves the aeration of the soil, and in turn, creates a healthy living environment for the worms. As it ensures proper ventilation, it also helps in the prevention of unwanted smell.
The fabric used in this worm bag is 900D Oxford. To make it even better, it comes with a polyurethane coating. The latter improves moisture resistance while also making the fabric more durable.
It comes with a lightweight but robust iron frame, which will support the worm bag and everything that you will keep inside. The rectangular frame will keep the worm bin stable, as long as you put it on a level surface. The package comes with eight horizontal and four vertical supports, as well as three-way connectors. Once the frame is assembled, it has a height of 31.75 inches and a width of 26.75 inches.
Need more compelling reasons to choose the Urban Worm Bag Version 2? Below are some of the benefits you need to know.
- Durable Construction: From the frame to the bag, the durability of this worm bin is unquestionable. We love how sturdy the frames are. The fabric of the bag is water-resistant. Plus, it comes with marine-grade zippers that are guaranteed to withstand the test of time.
- Ease to Use: With the straightforward use of this worm bin, it is an excellent choice even for beginners. Worm composting does not need to be overwhelming when you have this product. You can complete the assembly of the frame within minutes. the best thing is that there is no need for screws. Just use the included connectors.
- High Capacity: If you are looking for a worm bin with a large capacity, it is hard to go wrong with this product. The manufacturer claims that it has three times the volume that most of its competitors can offer. The bag can hold up to eight pounds of composting worms. Meanwhile, it processes up to four pounds of household waste every day. Even when the worm bag is full, the frame will not bow down because of weight.
- Affordable: On a budget? Then you have another good reason to love this product. It is easy on the pocket but big in terms of performance. It is up to 1/3 cheaper compared to the all-plastic flow-through worm bins from most of its competitors. This is proof that you don’t need to spend a fortune to complete your worm composting set-up at home.
While we have good words to share about this product, to be fair, let’s also talk about some drawbacks.
- Water Penetration Can Result in too Much Moisture: Being made of a breathable fabric can also be a problem. especially when the worm bin is outdoors, water can penetrate. It increases moisture in the bedding, which can also trigger the growth of bacteria. Make sure to put it somewhere it does not get wet.
- Worms Can Possibly Get Out: Another weakness of this worm bag is that the worms can get out of the bag through the stitches. This is a common problem when the stitches wear out. The best way to prevent this from happening is to make sure that the stitching remains intact. Worms can also get out through the small gap when the zipper is closed. To prevent this, insert a cotton ball so that there is no space.
- Can be Prone to Unpleasant Smell: This is one problem caused by the breathable fabric. Unlike its plastic counterparts, fabrics are known for absorbing moisture, and hence, it is inevitable that it will have a bad smell over time.
Got questions about the Urban Worm Bag Version 2? Below, we’ll try to answer some of them.
What is the difference between the Urban Worm Bag Version 1 and Version 2?
The Version 2 offers several improvements, such as a slightly taller frame and more durable plastic connectors. There is also a drawstring enclosure aside from the zipper. The zipper has been improved. Plus, it has a bigger space underneath the bag to make harvesting a lot easier.
Where is the best place to put the worm bin?
While you can use it both indoors and outdoors, we recommend using it inside instead. This will protect against harsh weather and will make it easy to control the temperature. If you will put it outdoors, find a sheltered spot for protection from rain and sun. also, see to it that the surface is flat.
How do I maintain proper moisture in the worm bag?
One of the best things that you can do is to choose the right bedding materials. add those that can absorb excess moisture while also making the bedding breathable. Also, position the worm bin somewhere there is plenty of air circulation.
How do I harvest worm castings?
When it is time to harvest castings, things don’t have to be complicated. All that you have to do is to undo the drawstring at the bottom of the bin. Make sure that you have a large tray or container underneath to catch the castings.
Should I buy the Urban Worm Bag Version 2?
This is perhaps the most important question you have right now. If you will ask for our opinion, we would say that YES, you should buy this worm bag. It is durable, breathable, and simple. Everything that the manufacturer claims, you can indeed experience when you are using this worm bin. It is a great way to get started in worm composting at home!