I recently had the opportunity to try out the VermiHut Plus Worm Compost Bin, and I must say, I’ve been quite impressed with its design and functionality. As someone who is passionate about gardening and composting, I was looking for a compost bin that was both easy to set up and sustainable. And this product certainly fits the bill.
- Easy setup and low maintenance
- Increased airflow design: A new component named “worm-saving tray” or “V-board” allows for better airflow and prevents worms from falling through the tray.
- Smallest footprint for the highest composting efficiency
- Odorless: The compost worms consume the food before it smells. With a component named “V-board,” the VermiHut Plus worm compost bin ensures that the food scraps are consumed before they start to smell.
- Improved aeration: Both the M-board and V-board contain holes to allow the worm farm to breathe. The lid also has ventilation holes to improve airflow.
- Stackable design: The VermiHut Plus worm compost bin has a stackable design that allows for a small footprint, making it ideal for small spaces.
- High capacity: The VermiHut Plus worm compost bin can house up to 10 lbs. of worms and compost up to 5 lbs. of food scraps per day.
My VermiHut Plus Worm Compost Bin Journey
As an environmentally conscious individual, I’ve always been on the lookout for sustainable solutions to reduce waste and enrich the soil in my garden. That’s why I decided to try the VermiHut Plus 5-Tray Worm Compost Bin – an innovative way to turn kitchen scraps into nutrient-rich compost. Here’s my experience with this fascinating eco-friendly product.
Easy Setup and Sustainable Design
Right from the beginning, I was impressed by how easy it was to set up the VermiHut Plus. The package came with clear instructions, and within no time, I had assembled the entire system. It even included a brick of coconut coir for bedding, which was a thoughtful touch.
The first thing I noticed was the dark green color of the compost bin, which blended well with my outdoor surroundings. It gave off a vibe of sustainability and eco-friendliness, which resonated with my gardening goals.
A Bit of a Hiccup
However, I did encounter a minor hiccup during setup. The clear top lid appeared slightly warped, but with a little bit of gentle flexing, I managed to straighten it out. It wasn’t a deal-breaker, but it’s something I thought was worth mentioning.
The Worm Adventure Begins
Once the setup was complete, it was time to introduce my tiny composting partners – the worms. I followed the instructions diligently, and it was fascinating to see these little creatures start their work. I sourced 1000 worms from Uncle Jim, which equated to about 0.5 pounds of worms, perfect for the job.
Within days, I saw the worms diligently breaking down the kitchen scraps and bedding. There was a bit of an adventure when a few worms decided to explore beyond their designated tray, but I quickly resolved that by adjusting the setup. It’s all part of the learning curve.
A Learning Experience
Over the weeks, I’ve been closely monitoring the VermiHut Plus. One thing I realized is that worm composting is not just about disposing of kitchen scraps; it’s an intricate balance of moisture, food, and environment. The VermiHut Plus provides excellent guidance, but like any gardening endeavor, it’s a learning experience.
I’ve even started experimenting with different bedding materials and food sources to optimize the composting process. It’s amazing how much there is to discover about these little composting champions.
Worms: The Best Pets
One unexpected joy of using the VermiHut Plus is the delight it brings to my family. My kids have grown fond of our worm buddies. They find it fascinating to watch the worms at work and have even named a few of them. My four-year-old proudly declares that these are the best pets because they don’t bite or scratch.
A Garden’s Future
As time goes by, I’m eagerly looking forward to the day when I can harvest the rich worm castings and use them to nourish my garden. It’s a satisfying feeling knowing that I’m not only reducing kitchen waste but also contributing to healthier soil and more bountiful plants.
In conclusion, my journey with the VermiHut Plus 5-Tray Worm Compost Bin has been an educational and fulfilling one. While there have been a few minor bumps along the way, the overall experience has been positive, and I’m excited about the sustainable future it promises for my garden. If you’re looking to embrace composting and reduce your ecological footprint, I’d highly recommend giving the VermiHut Plus a try. It’s a wormy adventure worth embarking on!
- ☀️ To start a worm bin, assemble the VermiHut components, including the V board, Basin, and trays.
- 🌬️ Use a unique lid with airflow holes and a Cocoa choir mat to maintain proper ventilation and moisture for the worms.
- 🐛 Order your worm bin first before getting the worms to avoid transferring them multiple times.
- 🍓 When introducing worms to the bin, start with a small amount of food, such as strawberry tops, used coffee grounds, and pulverized eggshells.
- ☀️ Keep the bin without a lid and in a well-lit area for 48 hours to prevent worms from escaping as they settle in.
Pros and Cons
What I Liked
- Advanced version of worm compost bin with the option to add additional trays if needed.
- The inclusion of the M-board to increase airflow and improve compost efficiency, as well as the V-board and coconut fiber for odor removal and moisture control.
- The shoes are included to prevent other pests from invading the bin, and the base and liquid tray form one piece for easy assembly.
- The inclusion of a starter kit and user’s manual, which were helpful in getting started with the composting process.
- The overall satisfaction of customers who have used this product is evident from the positive reviews.
What Can Be Improved
- Some customers have mentioned issues with a slightly warped clear top lid, although it was easily fixed by flexing it back into shape.
- There have been reports of worms escaping from the bottom tray when using the designated method described in the user manual, which could be improved to prevent this issue.
The VermiHut Plus 5-Tray Worm Compost Bin is a fantastic addition to any garden and outdoor space. Its advanced features, such as the M-board for increased airflow and the V-board for odor control, make it a highly efficient and sustainable composting solution. While there may be some minor issues, such as a warped lid or tray escape, overall, this product offers great value and functionality. If you’re looking to start composting with worms or upgrade your current system, I highly recommend giving the VermiHut Plus a try.
Unboxing – What’s Inside?
I recently purchased the VermiHut Plus 5-Tray Worm Compost Bin on Amazon to start my own composting project. Living in the USA, I chose this product because of its sustainable design and easy setup. Delivery was surprisingly fast and it arrived at my doorstep within a couple of days.
Inside the box, I found the VermiHut Plus 5-Tray Worm Compost Bin in a beautiful dark green color. The bin is made of durable plastic and has a square shape. It measures 17L x 17W x 33H, providing a capacity of 40 liters. The bin is quite lightweight, weighing only 12 pounds.
– Manufacturer: VermiTek
– Item Weight: 12 pounds
– Shape: Square
– Product Dimensions: 17L x 17W x 33H
– Capacity: 40 Liters
– Brand: VermiHut
– Color: Dark Green
– Material: Plastic
The documentation provided with the VermiHut Plus 5-Tray Worm Compost Bin was tremendously helpful. It guided me through the setup process, explaining step-by-step how to assemble the trays and which materials are suitable for composting. The user guide also provided useful tips on maintaining the compost bin and ensuring optimal worm activity. You can find the user guide here.
Features – What I Found
Advanced version with expandable tray system
The VermiHut Plus 5-Tray Worm Compost Bin is an advanced version of a worm compost bin and comes with five standard trays. One of the standout features of this bin is its expandable tray system, which allows you to add additional trays as needed. This means you can easily increase the capacity of your compost bin as your worm population grows or if you want to process larger quantities of organic waste.
With the ability to expand, this compost bin offers flexibility in managing your composting needs. Whether you have a small household or a large garden, the VermiHut Plus 5-Tray Worm Compost Bin can adapt to your requirements, making it a versatile and sustainable choice.
Pro-tip: Start with a few trays and gradually add more as your worms reproduce and your compost needs increase. This will ensure efficient composting and prevent overwhelming your worms.
Innovative components for improved compost efficiency
The VermiHut Plus 5-Tray Worm Compost Bin introduces two innovative components: the M-board and the V-board, designed to enhance compost efficiency.
The M-board is responsible for increasing airflow within the bin, allowing for better aeration. This improved air circulation promotes decomposition and helps prevent the formation of odors. By optimizing the composting environment, the M-board ensures that your worms have the ideal conditions to break down organic matter efficiently.
Additionally, the V-board, along with a piece of coconut fiber built into the air-vented lid, aids in odor removal and moisture control. The V-board helps to regulate the moisture levels within the bin, preventing excess dampness that can lead to anaerobic conditions. Together, the V-board and the coconut fiber ensure a well-balanced and pleasant composting experience.
Pro-tip: Regularly monitor the moisture levels in your compost bin and adjust accordingly. The V-board and coconut fiber will help maintain optimal moisture, but it’s always important to keep an eye on the composting process.
Easily prevent invading pests
One of the common challenges in composting is preventing pests from invading the bin. The VermiHut Plus 5-Tray Worm Compost Bin addresses this issue with a clever solution.
It includes a set of shoes that can be placed on the base of the bin. These shoes create a barrier, preventing pests such as ants and other crawling insects from accessing the composting area. By securing the base, you can rest assured that your worms and organic waste are safe from unwanted intruders.
With the base and liquid tray combined into one piece, assembly becomes seamless, and there are no gaps or openings for pests to enter. This feature provides peace of mind, allowing you to compost with confidence.
All-inclusive starter kit and user-friendly design
The VermiHut Plus 5-Tray Worm Compost Bin not only offers a sustainable and efficient composting system but also provides a complete starter kit and user manual.
The starter kit is designed to help beginners kickstart their vermicomposting journey. It may include items such as bedding material, food scraps, and a small population of worms to get you started. With everything you need in one package, you can begin composting immediately without any additional purchases.
The user’s manual offers guidance on setting up the compost bin, maintaining the ideal conditions for composting, and troubleshooting common issues. Whether you are new to vermicomposting or an experienced composter, the user’s manual serves as a valuable resource to ensure successful composting.
Sustainable design and dark green color
The sustainable design of the VermiHut Plus 5-Tray Worm Compost Bin is not only environmentally friendly but also visually appealing. Its dark green color blends well with gardens and outdoor spaces, making it a stylish addition to your composting area.
Built with high-quality materials, this compost bin is durable and long-lasting. The dark green color is fade-resistant, ensuring that your compost bin retains its attractive appearance over time.
By choosing the VermiHut Plus 5-Tray Worm Compost Bin, you are not only contributing to a sustainable future but also adding a touch of elegance to your composting setup.
I recently purchased the VermiHut Plus 5-Tray Worm Compost Bin and I have been extremely impressed with its performance. The setup process was a breeze and the included user manual was very helpful in guiding me through the process. The bin comes with standard 5 trays, but you have the option to add additional trays if needed. The new design features such as the M-board for increased airflow and the V-board for odor removal and moisture control have greatly improved the composting efficiency of the bin. The included coconut fiber and shoes to prevent invading pests were a nice touch. Additionally, the starter kit and user’s manual were comprehensive and provided all the information needed to get started.
One thing that really stood out to me was the quality of the product. The dark green color and sustainable design of the bin made it an attractive addition to my garden and outdoor area. The bin was easy to assemble and the trays fit together seamlessly. I also appreciated the attention to detail in packaging and delivery, as the product arrived in excellent condition.
Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the VermiHut Plus 5-Tray Worm Compost Bin and I would highly recommend it to others who are looking for an easy-to-use and efficient worm composting solution.
Alternatives To Go For
When it comes to worm compost bins, the VermiHut Plus 5-Tray Worm Compost Bin is a popular choice. However, there are several compelling reasons why you should consider these alternative products instead.
- VermiHut Plus 5-Tray Worm Compost Bin: While the VermiHut Plus offers an easy setup and a sustainable design, there are other options that provide similar or even better features.
- VermiHut Plus 5-Tray Worm Compost Bin – Easy Setup and Sustainable Design: This alternative product is the VermiHut Plus 5-Tray Worm Compost Bin. It offers the same easy setup and sustainable design as the main product. With its five-tray system, it provides ample space for your worms to thrive and efficiently compost your organic waste.
- Basic Worm Composting Farm: If you’re looking for a simple setup, the Basic Worm Composting Farm is a great alternative. Made in Oregon, this four-stacking tray farm comes with easy-to-follow instructions, making it ideal for beginners. It’s a reliable and affordable option for those who want to start composting with worms.
- Garden 4 Tray PP 30L Worm Compost Bin: Another excellent alternative is the Garden 4 Tray PP 30L Worm Compost Bin. With its sustainable design specifically crafted for recycling food waste, this worm factory vermicomposting system provides an efficient solution for composting. Its four-tray system is designed to maximize composting capacity and accelerate the decomposition process.
- Urban Worm Bag Worm Composting Bin Version 2: For those wanting easier harvest and maintenance, the Urban Worm Bag Worm Composting Bin Version 2 offers a fully removable zipper-free bottom. This feature simplifies the harvesting process, allowing you to extract the worm castings with minimal effort. Its unique design makes it easier to maintain and manage compared to traditional worm compost bins.
- Worm Nerd WN40 4-Tray Worm Composting Bin Kit: If you’re looking for a comprehensive kit that includes everything you need for vermicomposting, consider the Worm Nerd WN40 4-Tray Worm Composting Bin Kit. This kit not only includes a 4-tray worm compost bin but also a coco coir brick for recycling food waste, worm castings, worm tea, and more. It provides a complete solution for anyone passionate about vermicomposting.
While the VermiHut Plus 5-Tray Worm Compost Bin is a reliable choice, these alternate products offer comparable, if not better, features and benefits. Consider your specific needs and preferences when choosing the best worm compost bin for your home or garden.